A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Happy New Year! A New Challenge...

This year, I created my own reading challenge, and I was able to complete everything on it!  I enjoyed it so much, I plan on doing it again for 2016.  I made goal to read 5 new authors, a book I loved but haven't read in years, a book recommended by each of my kids, a nonfiction book, one that is set in my state, and a classic.

The first goal was 5 book by new authors.  I think it's important to get out of my comfort zone once in a while and give these new authors a chance.  Whether they are popular or more obscure, I look forward to finding 5 new ones in 2016!
1. A Cry from the Dust - Carrie Stuart Parks
2. Through the Fire - Shawn Grady
3. Deja Dead - Kathy Reichs
4. Dangerous Passage - Lisa Harris
5. Not by Sight - Kate Breslin


The second goal was a book I loved but haven't read in years.  I really enjoyed dusting this hardback off and reading through it again.  If I hadn't purposely set aside my TBR pile, I don't know when I would have gotten around to it again.
Carousel - Linda Crockett

My third goal was to read books recommended by my kids.  They really got a kick out of having Mom read one of their books, and it gave us something to talk about.  I was especially happy to do this one!
The White Giraffe - Lauren St. John
The Strange Case of Origami Yoda - Tom Angleberger

Next was a nonfiction book.  This one I didn't look forward to, but I made it through.  I have problems making it through nonfiction books, I don't enjoy them, but I learned that finding the right book can make a huge difference.
The Pursuit of God - A.W. Tozer

My fifth goal was to read a book that takes place in my state.  This one is a little tricky and takes some research, but it ended up being a neat little experiment.
The Inn at Rose Harbor - Debbie Macomber

My final goal was to read a classic.  Sometimes the wording in those is a little difficult to get through, so it was a struggle.  For next year, I plan on choosing something a little shorter AND purposely not choosing a book I've seen a movie for.  Normally, my rule is to do one or the other, read the book or watch the movie, but I broke that rule this past year. I figured some things out, but I'll do it a little different next year.
Little Dorrit - Charles Dickens

I recommend everyone have some sort of challenge this upcoming year.  I've discovered that reading challenges can be great, just make sure to structure it in such a way that it's achievable.  Maybe have one or two things in there that will take you out of your comfort zone, but don't make all the reading goals impossible.  I learned that applies to life goals in general.  Challenge yourself, but don't overwhelm yourself.

May you all have a blessed and Happy New Year!  Happy Reading in 2016!



No comments:

Post a Comment