A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, August 24, 2015

The Pursuit of God: Updated Edition - A.W. Tozer

This is my nonfiction title that finishes up my 2015 challenge.  Anyone who knows me knows how much I prefer fiction over nonfiction.  For instance, I think I started 3 different nonfiction books before I stumbled on this one and was able to make it all the way through.  Not only that, but it's only 128 pages.  A definite plus for me!  And since my classic was over 500 pages, I didn't feel like I was cheating.

Being the librarian at my church, there are certain authors that appear on the shelves numerous times.  This is one of those authors.  The Pursuit of God is a challenge to stop floating on the surface of the waters and dive deep into relationship with God.  Abandon the surface religion and actively pursue God without ceasing.  Just because we've found God doesn't mean we should stop seeking him.

Even though this book was originally written in 1948, the logic and reasoning behind the author's points are just as relevant if not more so.  At the end of each chapter is a prayer that reflects the chapter's topic.  There's a lot of thee and thou in those, so you might have to slow down to understand them, but this is a great book for those who find themselves in more of a surface than substance relationship with God.

As with many other classics, this one has oodles of editions.  I chose this particular one because it was free.  It was just published in June, but it's free at the moment.  There's also a public domain version that's free.  It's short and sweet and definitely worth reading. I read a chapter a day, so it took me about 10 days to get through it.  You have nothing to lose by giving it a chance, and you just might learn something.

"Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth."

Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment