A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Twilight - Kristen Heitzmann

It's been a few years since I've read a book by this author.  Many moons ago, I read Freefall.  I liked it, but it was also a little on the long side for me at the time.  The author had a nice style, so I wanted to try another book by her.  This one was shorter, so I chose it.

Cal is haunted by the demons of the past.  Fighting one fire in particular has changed his life, left him with nightmares and PTSD.  He can't be the firefighter he was meant to be and has been devoting himself to dressing up like a clown and teaching fire safety to children.  His one love, Laurie, is back in town and he wonders what he has to offer her. Just seeing her tears his heart apart, because she seems unwilling to start their relationship back up, but he's not giving up easily.

Laurie has left her husband.  She married him to get the approval of her parents and the posh life she wanted, but the results left her heart hollow and her life in danger.  When bad things start happening, she turns to Cal, and he's willing to risk everything for her while she's unwilling to repeat the past.

This book was great.  The characters are real, flaws and all, and you're really cheering for them to conquer their past and get on with their lives.  They won't be able to do it without God, and that part of the story is woven into the story in such a beautiful way.  I really liked how the book didn't end when the danger left.  It continued on until there was true healing for Cal and Laurie.  Normally, having a lot of pages after the action ends can get tedious, but this book is an exception.  You get so invested in wanting to see these two succeed, you don't feel like there's resolution until they're made whole.

In the end, I was glad I gave this author another chance.  I really enjoyed this one and heartily recommend it.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment