A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (Origami Yoda #1) - Tom Angleberger

This is the book my daughter recommended to me.  I was a little wary at first, this book seemed a little on the strange side to me, but I was committed to reading it.

Tommy is analyzing recent events to make the determination if Origami Yoda is real or just a wad of paper.  Dwight is a strange kid, but he's strange and no one seems to like him. When his Origami Yoda starts giving out advice, the kids are amazed when the advice seems to be working out!  Dwight is still considered weird and a loser, but the more time that goes by, Tommy starts to suspect that Dwight is smarter than he lets on and maybe not such a loser after all.

From a parent's perspective, it bothered me how often the kids would harass Dwight or call him a loser.  It did get better toward the end, so I'll give the author some credit for that.

There are six books in this series, all revolving around origami characters based on the Star Wars series.  From the looks of it, Dwight is portrayed differently in these books, so that's a plus.  Overall, the story was okay, but it wasn't the best thing I've read that my kids have recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment