A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Measure of Katie Calloway (Michigan Northwoods #1) - Serena B. Miller

This entire series has me a little confused.  This book is listed as book 1 in an unnamed series.  A few weeks ago, I finished what is labeled book 3, A Promise to Love.  The book listed as book 2, Under a Blackberry Moon, just came out in October.  It's very odd to come across an unnamed series written out of order, but we'll see how it goes.

Katie has had enough.  Her husband, Harlan, is an abusive man who has escalated since the South lost the Civil War.  Finding a trap meant to kill Katie, she takes her young brother and runs away.  Avoiding her family in Pennsylvania, she heads for Michigan and takes a job as a cook in a lumber camp.  The owner, Robert, is an honorable man whom she respects a great deal and becomes fond of.

Robert saw enough carnage during the war that he has vowed to never operate on anyone again.  He now tries to earn his living during the lumber season and clearing enough land to make it from one year to the next.  Finding a unique soul in Katie, he is drawn to her spirit and heart.  She has enough care to share with everyone in the camp, but Robert knows that there is a secret around Katie.

This was a good book and I really liked it a lot.  I liked the amount of research that the author put into the story and appreciated that I wasn't hit over the head with it.  I wished there had been more facts that had inspired the author in the back, but the little that was there was interesting.  The thing I love about historical fiction is the truths that would be lost if someone doesn't make sure they aren't forgotten.

I understand how Under a Blackberry Moon ended up being labeled book 2, the characters are prominent in book 1, but I'm not quite sure how they ended up published out of order.  I was glad to see the characters that book 2 surrounds, because I was wondering what happened to Moon Song and Skypilot.  I'm not sure about reading book 1 and 2 out of order.  I think it will depend on how much background we get in Under a Blackberry Moon.  I believe that it is safe to read book 1 and 3 out of order.  I look forward to finishing out the series in the future.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment