A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Rosa's Land (Western Justice #1) - Gilbert Morris

While looking at the current freebies, I was surprised that this one by Gilbert Morris had almost slipped by me.  This year was the first time I had read this popular Christian author. I started with the first two books in the Lady Trent Mysteries: The Mermaid in the Basement and A Conspiracy of Ravens.  I'm still waiting patiently for the last one in that series, Sonnet to a Dead Contessa.  Rosa's Land sounded like something that I would like to read and picked it up.

Lafayette (Faye) has been influenced since childhood by his mother.  Where his brothers are tough businessmen, Faye is gentle and a painter.  When he tries to come to the aid of a woman in distress, he is beaten badly and has to have someone come to his aid.  On the way to a painting lesson, he becomes a hero in the eyes of a young woman.  He feels drawn to her, but she isn't really interested in tainting Faye's pure spirit.  After much thought, Faye decides that he's going to prove to himself that he can take care of himself. He decides to go out west and be a marshal.

Rosa has been working in a saloon to try and make ends meet for her family.  Her father has been ill for a long time.  When her uncle shows up and tells the family that Rosa's grandfather wants them to come live with him, it gives them a way to escape their situation, but they are going to have to fight to keep what they have.  After a deadly encounter, Rosa heads to the fort to ask for help, but all the judge gives her is a man who is clearly out of his depth.  She's not impressed and sets out to prove to Faye that he doesn't belong.

While the story was good overall, I felt like it was a bit unbalanced.  A lot of time was spent on Faye's development regarding his initial love interest and time in the wild, but the end seemed to suffer for it and seemed a little rushed.  Rosa doesn't even appear in the book until Part Two and so I was kind of wondering where she was in the beginning.  I think that the final showdown could have been much better if the amount of depth matched that of the beginning of the book.

The next book in this series, Sabrina's Man, is due out in December.  The third book is called Raina's Choice and is set to come out June 2014.  Sabrina's Man doesn't center around any characters that were in this first book.  All in all, it was a pretty good read. Decent Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment