A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, November 14, 2013

A River to Cross - Yvonne Harris

In the past, I was able to read another book by this author, A Vigilante's Bride, and enjoyed it.  Apparently, I read it before I started my blog.  I was able to get this book for free.  It isn't part of a series.

Elizabeth is living near the Mexican border in Texas.  Her brother is a newspaper editor and has been covering the unrest in Mexico.  Angered at the articles, some of the people he is talking about track him down at a courthouse and kill him.  In the chaos, one of the men kidnaps Elizabeth and takes her back to Mexico.

Jake, a Texas Ranger, receives word that there has been some trouble and heads back to discover his friend dead and goes on a quest to rescue Elizabeth.  Technically, they aren't supposed to go across the river to Mexico, but they take the chance and do their best to get Elizabeth back to safety in Texas.  Along the way, they are helped by unlikely friends and end up learning about each other.

Elizabeth doesn't want to feel anything for Jake.  Since her Army husband died three years ago, she has sworn not to fall in love with someone with that kind of dedication again.  The prospect of pain is something she plans to avoid.  But the more time she spends with Jake, the more she observes the many layers that make up the man and is intrigued by what she sees.

I did like this book.  It was a quick, easy read and a good pick for a dreary day.  If there was anything that bothered me, it would probably be the integration of little tidbits by the villains of the book.  I felt they were a bit unnecessary and since they were so short, they were kind of tacked on and didn't really add anything.    At this time, I don't see anything on the horizon but would like to read more of this author.  Overall, I I liked this book and give it a Good Book! review.


No comments:

Post a Comment