A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Deadly Devotion (Port Aster Secrets #1) - Sandra Orchard

This was a new author for me.  It wasn't free, but it sounded interesting and I wanted to give it a chance.

Kate's good friend has died.  The police has ruled the death a suicide, but Kate knows that her friend's faith in God would have prevented her from taking her own life. Determined to clear her friend's name, Kate goes to the police station to demand that they reopen the case and find the killer.

Tom came back to Canada to be near his father.  Also, his job in the FBI while in the states wasn't something that he wants to talk about.  His partner chose the wrong woman and it cost him his life.  Tom thinks that he could have prevented it and feels guilty.

Kate goes around town snooping where she doesn't belong and getting herself into lots of trouble.  Her wariness of the police doesn't prevent her from becoming friends with Tom and spending time with his family.  Their friendship is tested and the trust they are building is shattered.  Even though she's mad at Tom, she needs his help to catch the killer.

All in all, these characters reminded me of the dog in the movie Up.  Every time they found a clue, they immediately abandoned whatever they were doing and pursued it.  It was a total "squirrel!" moment.  The information on the herbs and poisons was pretty interesting and overall the book was okay.  The second book in the series, Blind Trust, is due out next June.  The fact that I didn't really look forward to picking this book up to read it tells me all I need to know.  The book isn't bad, this series just isn't for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment