A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, February 22, 2013

Winter Chill (Seasons of the Heart) - Susette Williams

This novella popped up for free and I thought it might be a nice little read.

The story begins with Sasha witnessing her friend get engaged.  She's a little jealous, but her past has her living in fear of all men.

Forrest works on campus and finds Sasha to be interesting.  Especially when she is trying to break into his house and gets stuck halfway in.  There's a snow storm outside, so he tries to be a good host, but Sasha makes it clear that she's controlled by her fear.

Sasha has been raped.  Apparently the man who did it is on campus and has no problems confronting her and asking her out.  Forrest witnesses him talking to her and gets in a fight.  Suspended from his job, he looks for Sasha.

And that's about where I quit.  It may be a novella, but rape is a topic I do not like reading about.  Knowing that the whole novella would center around the emotions and fear that Sasha's encounter created, I had no desire to keep going.  The book description didn't mention this part and I wish it had.  It would have saved me some time.  Not for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment