A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, February 15, 2013

Safe in His Arms (Under Texas Stars #2) - Colleen Coble

This book popped up for $2.99 and I snatched it up.  Colleen Coble is one of my favorite authors and I can count on her for a good, easy read.

Margaret has been helping around the ranch for many years now and is angry that her father has not only hired a new foreman, but has also brought in her cousin, Lewis. Although the new foreman, Daniel, is handsome, Margaret overhears a conversation that labels him as a bank robber.  She doesn't want to turn him in, but she plans to keep an eye on him until she has more information.

Daniel is attracted to Margaret, but he has a job to do and he can't let her get in the way. Not only his fate, but the fate of his younger brother hang in the balance.  When strange things start happening around the ranch, Daniel fears for Margaret's safety and tries to protect her.

Overall, this was a good book, but it certainly wasn't one of my favorites.  Usually, this author's books flow nicely, but this time the flow was missing.  I'm not sure what happened, but it seemed like the characters were completely scatterbrained.  I'm not sure if I missed something, but there were times I wondered what had happened.  People get shot and head toward the doctor but end up going home instead.  Apparently being severely injured in this book was no big deal.

I also had some issues with the suspense aspects of the book.  They were too close together and didn't really make sense being that close.  Margaret's emotions are something else that had me questioning whether I missed something.  I thought that she witnessed Daniel talking to another woman at the barn party, but that never seems to bother her as much as the bank robbery.  Even though I can understand her concerns, I would think that watching Daniel with another woman would at least raise enough concern that she would at least ask about it or not totally forget.

This is the second book in the series, which is something I didn't realize when I picked it up.  Book 1, Blue Moon Promise, is the story of Lucy and Nate.  They are Margaret's best friends, and you pick up a little bit of their story in this book, but I don't think that it would ruin my reading of the first book if the price ever drops.  Even though this wasn't my favorite book by the author, it was still enjoyable and I'm giving it my Good Book! review.


No comments:

Post a Comment