A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, February 1, 2013

Mortal (The Books of Mortals #2) - Ted Dekker & Tosca Lee

Anyone who has read my reviews will know that I am a big fan of Ted Dekker.  I've read Forbidden, which is book 1 of the series.  I really got into the story and anxiously awaited book 2.  As time went by, I regret to say I forgot about the series and only purchased it when I noticed that the price dropped to $2.99.

In this book, we continue to follow Rom, Feyn, Saric and Jonathan as they struggle for the seat of the Sovereign.  Saric has found the body of Feyn and resurrected her using his own tainted blood days before Jonathan was going to claim the seat.  Now the Mortals are struggling to find a way for Jonathan to claim his place as Sovereign.

Before Feyn's ascent to power, she offered herself up to be killed due to the changes in the law that would name Saric as leader if anything happened to her after she came to power.  Now that she has taken her place as Sovereign, Saric has control over her and if she becomes a liability, he can just kill her to get the power he wants.

The Mortals are fighting among themselves over what should be done against Saric's army and the disturbing news they are receiving about Jonathan's life-giving blood. Roland, the prince of the nomads, begins to think that it's time he thought about the future of his people and that the Nomads might be the future of Mortals.

I'm sorry to say that I had issues getting into this book.  There were so many unnecessary pages of descriptions that I almost dreaded trying to get to the end.  The story line reminds me so much of The Circle series, but I didn't have any problems reading through those.  I found myself tapping my Kindle to see what percent I was at and being disappointed at how slow it was going.  I skimmed the last 15%.

It is important to read these in order or you won't have a clue what's going on.  There were many times in this book that I wasn't sure what was going on.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the third book in the series, Sovereign.  It comes out in June and I think that I'll wait and see what some of the other reviewers say about it.  I'm hoping that it's better than this one, it just moved so slow as to be painful reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment