A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, February 11, 2013

Sing (The Homeward Trilogy #2) - Lisa T. Bergren

A while back, I was able to read Breathe, the first novel in this series.  In the past, I have read this author's River of Time series and have started her Grand Tour series.  She is one of those authors that seems to want to make one continuous story into three separate books.  Usually, it's the type of series I avoid, but she is a good author I can normally count on for a good read.

This is basically a continuation of the story surrounding Odessa.  She is now married to Bryce and they have a son.  The main focus of this book is her sister, Moira.  Moira is an opera singer who has lost her job in Europe.  Her manager has stolen her money and she is forced to go back to America.

On the ship, she meets Gavin, who wants her to expand her horizons into a different type of market on the frontier west.  He appears to be interested in her, but Moira is drawn to Daniel, a quiet, strong man who is also on the ship.

Once they reach America, Moira decides to give Gavin's idea a chance.  She wants to sing and that is the opportunity he is offering her.  Assuming a new identity, she is now Moira Colorado and her future seems secure once more.

Reid has been released from prison and is plotting his revenge on the St. Clair's.  He blames them for his current situation and nothing will prevent him from it, including murder. He wants the gold that is on Odessa's land and he believes that they know where it is.

You're on a journey with these three siblings.  Knowing that ahead of time will help you get through the parts that don't seem to mesh with the others.  Reading about Dominic's nautical experiences doesn't fit in with the rest of the story, but it does set you up for the third book, Claim.

This book has a lot of depressing moments in it.  I have to say that overall, it was a good read.  Moira's story is somewhat wrapped up for you.  Reading the additional information at the end, the author states that she doesn't necessarily like to wrap up her stories in neat little bows because life is not like that.  I have to say that is in direct contrast to what I love to read, but I think that the author's writing style makes up for it.

I read Breathe a long time ago, so I couldn't really remember much about the story, but the author had enough reminders in there that I was able to read it without being completely lost the entire time.  I liked this book and I am tracking the last one.  We'll see if it drops in price and I can read about the fate of the St. Clair family.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment