A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, June 25, 2012

Winds of Sonoma (Regalo Grande) - Nikki Arana

As I looked at my book list on my Kindle, I kept seeing the cover to this book and wondering if I had picked up a smutty book by mistake.  It had a picture that made me wonder, even though the description made me fairly certain it was a Christian book.  I finally decided to read it and find out.

Angelica has had a moment where she has decided that she's bending the law.  She's lost the intent of the law and made the hard choice to abandon the possible partner position at the big law firm she works at and go back home to the Sonoma Valley.  Facing the disapproval of her family, Angelica is wary to break the news to them, especially since her mother is now suffering from an undiagnosed illness.

Antonio has come across the border illegally and is now working on the ranch.  Angelica has decided to become a public defender and a voice for the needy.  She feels drawn to Antonio and decides to use Antonio as her pet project.  She wants to learn more about him and his background.  They work together so that Angelica can teach Antonio English, and he can teach her Spanish.

There is something about this book, and I just can't put my finger on it, that wasn't what I expected.  Something felt a little disjointed.  According to the author, it's her story with a few alterations. 

Also in this series is  In the Shade of the Jacaranda and The Fragrance of Roses.  These two further follow the story of Antonio and Angelica.  I am not a huge fan of contemporary fiction, with some exceptions.  This series is just not up my alley.  Just don't be fooled by the cover of this one, it IS Christian fiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment