A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, October 14, 2024

The Daughter of Auschwitz - Tova Friedman

Tova (who has gone through a few name changes through her life) was very, very young when she was first living in the ghetto in Poland and spent most of her childhood in concentration camps.

The book is written in an easy to read manner. The horrors this child went through were so difficult for me to wrap my head around. Thinking about children today, I can't really imagine most of them able to stay quiet/hidden/still for an entire day.

Sometimes I wonder about Tova's memory when it comes to those really early years, but I don't have any really traumatic events to compare. I do notice especially happy and tragic things are easier to remember, so I can't say for sure. It's just hard to accept that level of detail from a child that young after so many years. I'm not saying it didn't happen - I'm wondering how accurate the memories are.  

I commend Tova for her willpower and bravery. I admire anyone who had the courage to not only make it through the Holocaust, but to also relive those events so future generations can learn from the past. A fair amount of this book deals with Tova's life after being freed from the camp, and I always appreciate when these memoirs include that time of the subject's life. It's important to realize that freedom from the camps wasn't the end of these stories.

This was a good book, and one of the better Holocaust survivor stories I've read. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment