A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, April 8, 2024

The Missing Chums (The Hardy Boys #4) - Franklin Dixon

A new year means more public domain Hardy Boys! This one is particularly interesting for a couple of reasons.

First, I loved the recap. "In our first three mysteries..." I can just imagine if they kept this up when we get to book twenty. Half the book would be brief recaps of what the boys already accomplished!

Second, the "chums" are great. Chet and Biff are kidnapped (not why they're great). They are mistaken for the Hardy Boys, but the kidnappers just ignore their pleas. When it comes to escaping, these two aren't the problem.

I hate to say it, but the Hardy Boys actually dropped the ball a bit in this one. First, it took them too long to make the connection that their two friends were missing and the strange ransom note sent to their house. Next, they know their friends are on the island, so why don't they just go straight for help? Instead, they get captured, which is what the kidnappers wanted in the first place. Then they have to escape to do what they should have done in the first place.

Oh well. I did enjoy this one, but not for the Hardy Boys themselves. I was cheering for Chet and Biff! These are always a quick read and fairly entertaining. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment