A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, April 8, 2024

Berserk - Deluxe Volume 1

This is my first ever manga. I've read comics collections and graphic novels, so I didn't have to make too many adjustments. I just had to get used to doing it all backwards. I chose this particular manga because I am drawn to the Dark Souls universe. Bloodborne is probably my favorite of those video games, and when I found out Berserk was the inspiration for the games, I wanted to check it out.

The deluxe version is very nice, but it's a tome. It's heavy and hard to get in a comfortable position to read. It's also not very good to read in public. There's a parental advisory sticker on the cover, and it earns that sticker on the first page. There is a lot of violence and nudity. A LOT of people are cut in half. If I focus on the story itself, I was interested and wanted to learn more. The cliffhanger at the end was disturbing, and I want to know what happened, but I also don't want to know.

I was invested in the story, but there are two main things that keep it from being five stars for me. Well, I suppose it's one point, but there's two facets to it. To read this whole story, I'd be investing in 14 volumes of Berserk. That's a lot of shelf space. A Kindle version is available, but personally, when it comes to this particular art form, I prefer a physical copy. Also, the really nice, long books aren't cheap. I haven't decided what to do about this series, but the story itself isn't what holds me back. I'm going to give the story itself a Good Book! review, but it's going to take a few days for my back to recover from carrying it around!



No comments:

Post a Comment