A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

The Doom of the Great City - William Delisle Hay

This story is a letter from a man to his family. They've been after him for years to tell his "survivor" story. It's short (52 pages), so I blazed through it last night.

A deadly fog has wiped out London. The survivor (I can't remember his name or maybe he didn't have one) is headed back to check on his mother and sister. He spent the night with friends, and when morning came and London was silent, he had to head into the city.

With it being so short, I was surprised how much of the beginning was dedicated to listing the evils of London. After that, it ramped up a bit when he started his actual tale. This was written in 1880, so having the fog as a destructive force makes a lot of sense. 

I think my main issue with this was the length and calling him a survivor. He wasn't actually in the city, so he didn't technically survive the fog. Anyway, the length...so much potential was lost! It only scratches the surface of the event. The narrator makes his way through the destruction of the city and to his family, but then it ends. I wish there had been more, but I enjoyed about 2/3 of it. Somewhat Good Story?



No comments:

Post a Comment