A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave - Frederick Douglass

Frederick Douglass was born sometime between 1817 and 1818 (by his own account) and died in 1895. He wrote this account in 1845, so this was before the Civil War. In this narrative, he describes his early life as a slave and how his mindset evolved to his decision to run away.

The way these people were treated was deplorable. I can't really say more than that. With each account, I just kept shaking my head in disgust. 

If you're looking for a detailed account of his escape, it isn't in here. He doesn't say anything about it because he doesn't want to alert masters how it could be done. Since this was written before the Civil War, and it makes sense to leave the details out. I was a bit surprised to read his thoughts on the Underground Railroad, though. He thought it was a bit too "out there" and too many people knew about it.

While reading this, I kept thinking back to the Holocaust. In both instances, I asked the question, "How can a group of people do those horrible things to other people?" And while I still don't understand it, I think it comes down being able to dehumanize people. I don't see slavery and the Holocaust as the same thing, but I see common elements if that makes sense. It just amazes me that so many people could look at a fellow human being and see nothing worthwhile there.

The part that got me the most was when he commented that he would rather be with a non-Christian master than a Christian one. The Appendix especially was jarring and well written. He knew more than the "religious" people around him when he stated we were "children of a common Father." For someone who was discouraged from learning to read and write, he did such an amazing job of expressing himself. 

I don't think "enjoy" is the right word for this book. It was an eye-opener, for sure. It's something I'm glad I read, and a book I recommend. Good Book!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment