A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, December 7, 2021

King Spruce - Holman Day

The fun thing about picking a random book from a list of old fiction is that you never know what you're going to get. I certainly wasn't prepared for the tale of King Spruce.

The story starts when the school principal, Dwight Wade, approaches the local timber baron, nicknamed King Spruce, to ask if he could take some kids up in the forest so they could learn about forestry. The meeting doesn't go the way he hopes, and the lumber baron soon discovers that the principal is in love with his daughter. That will never do.

King Spruce goes on a campaign to smear the principal and soon drives him out of town. Dwight soon ends up in the forest working for a logging camp. He doesn't know much about it but soon proves himself. He meets many interesting people along the way, some friends and others not so much. Each will play a part in the forest and what happens to Dwight's future.

I didn't think I was going to like this book. I have zero interest in logging. To be honest, I don't even like being outside if it's too hot or too cold. But if you take away the detailed descriptions of the logging process, it was an interesting story. I was worried the entire book was going to revolve around Dwight and his love of Elva, but there was so much more to it. I would have to say this is the most interesting book about logging I've ever read.

While I feel the book dragged on a bit too long, it was still well written and the flow of the story was good. I don't think I ever would've chosen this book on purpose, but I'm glad I read it (even though I didn't understand any of the super detailed logging parts). Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment