A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, December 8, 2021

The Cricket on the Hearth - Charles Dickens

One of our holiday family traditions is to sit around and watch Christmas movies. One of them is Cricket on the Hearth (1967). We watch in wonder as strange events occur on the screen. And this year, I decided to go straight to the source and find out what inspired this Christmas classic.

I think I'm going to review both of these, and I'll start with the book. John is on his way home when he picks up an old man on the side of the road. Things start to get a little strange from then on. His wife starts to act odd, and it all seems to revolve around the upcoming wedding of the local toy merchant. I don't want to say too much in case someone wants to read the story. You can find it for free on Gutenberg.org.

With regards to the movie, I'm at a loss to figure out how the people that made it got from the story to the movie. It's like they took some of the characters, threw out most of the main ones and changed the story to the point where I don't understand what happened. They also added a bunch of random weirdness that is a little hard to understand where it came from. For instance, there's a singing number at the docks about fish and chips, and there is a murder off screen of three shady characters. As much as we love to sing the theme song of this movie, we really don't understand it. It doesn't diminish our enjoyment of the show at all, but this was an interesting experiment to give it some context.

Both of these stories have their own sort of charm. The original material is a nice story even if it doesn't make a ton of sense at times. The movie takes any strangeness and multiplies it by a factor of 100, so I can't complain too much. I refuse to choose one over the other because the two are so different that I feel confident liking both. Good Book and Fun Movie!




No comments:

Post a Comment