A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Lady Maybe - Julie Klassen

Hannah has been in a terrible accident.  The lady she was companion to was swept out to sea, and at first, Hannah forgets who she is.  The doctor wrongly identifies her as a proper lady, and in her confusion, believes him.  When she regains her memory, she wants to set the record straight, but there's the matter of her child.  She goes along with the ruse, using the illness of her employer's husband, Sir John, to retrieve her son and then return to his home.  Sir John is still unconscious, so Hannah decides to continue playing her part until she's fully recovered.

Sir John's solicitor, James, comes to the house, and things get complicated.  There's a chemistry between them, but Hannah isn't sure what to do.  When Sir John wakes up, he asks Hannah not to reveal her secret just yet.  She goes along with it for quite a while, all while letting her friends and father believe she's dead.  She keeps saying she should leave but finds plenty of reasons to stay.

Everyone's got oodles of secrets and you're still discovering them at the end of the book. I wasn't sure what attracted these men to Hannah, she seemed to keep herself distant and self-absorbed much of the time.  There have been mentions in other reviews of sexual content.  It was more on the PG side in my opinion, but I normally skim the passionate kisses in books anyway, so I can't say for certain.

Klassen is normally one of my go-to authors for a good read.  I'm not sure what happened with this book, but it wasn't good.  I didn't like the characters and the tug-of-war with the two men was discouraging.  I didn't even like the ending.

It's not realistic that I like every book from a particular author, I don't like every title from my very favorite author in the world.  I'm not giving up on Klassen and look forward to reading her next release and hoping for a better story.  I'm sorry to say, I just didn't like this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment