A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Exile (The Oneness Cycle #1) - Rachel Starr Thomson

This is the first book I've read by this author.  I saw an ad mentioning that if I like Ted Dekker or Frank Peretti, I'd enjoy this one.  Both those authors are seriously good writers, so I wanted to see if the book lived up to the hype.

This is the first book in a five-book series.  The other four are Hive, Attack, Renegade and Rise.

Reese has been exiled from the Oneness, a group that is somehow related to angels and demons.  Tyler and Chris are not part of the Oneness, and finding Reese opens their eyes to a new world where demons fly through windows and possess animals and people. They want to help Reese and team up with other Oneness members, Mary and Richard, who are worried about their friend, April, who has disappeared.  There's a lot going on, and not everything is as it seems.

I did like this book.  It's on the shorter side, coming in at 230 pages.  The author does a great job handling multiple characters and points of view.  I also found her descriptions to be well done.  There's a lot of supernatural in there with members of the Oneness blessed with the gift of sight and the ability to fight off demons with magical swords.

Everything does not get tied up in a neat little bow, but I was glad to read that someone finally went and got April.  I won't say too much, but by the end, I kept wondering if anyone was going to remember to physically go get her.

You have a semi-conclusion where it seems like the battle is over but the war is just beginning.  Even though I'm not a fan of the continuous series where you have to read every book to get a complete story, this one was good enough that I wasn't bothered by it. I guess I kinda had a feeling it was going to be like that when I started, so I wasn't surprised.  If you don't mind being tied to the whole series, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.  I don't know if it was up there with Peretti and Dekker, but it was still a good outing by the author.  I won't be going further with the series, but for great writing and a decent story, it'll still get my Good Book! review.


No comments:

Post a Comment