A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, May 6, 2016

The Boden Birthright (The Cimmaron Legacy novella) - Mary Connealy

This is an introduction to No Way Up, the first in a new series by Mary Connealy.

Chance was lost in grief that he wasn't aware of the extent his in-laws had gone to trying to change his four-year-old son into a proper little man.  One day, he comes around long enough to hear that his son is wearing lace and decides it's time to leave.  The problem is, he knows the in-laws aren't going to let go of their grandson without a fight, so he whisks him away and they head west.

When they reach the New Mexico territory, Chance spots a beautiful stretch of land with a fancy house and decides it's where he wants to settle down.  He waltzes up, knocks on the door of the landowner and asks about available land in the area.  The wealthy rancher also has a beautiful daughter, Veronica, that catches his eye.  When the rancher is fatally attacked, his final wish is to secure the land by having Chance and Veronica marry.

There was something strange about this story.  The characters didn't have much depth to them, and the story itself was unsatisfying.  So much was made of the grandparent threat, but then it turned out to be irrelevant to the story.  Then we had the murder of Veronica's father that doesn't really get any resolution.  Both issues are barely mentioned in passing in the epilogue, which happens years later than the story.  I guess the point of the story was to get Chance and Veronica together, but I was hoping for more.

I was really looking forward to this story and sadly, I was disappointed.  No Way Up is scheduled to come out early July and involves Sadie, Chance's daughter.  It's a pass for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment