A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, May 2, 2016

Barefoot Summer (Chapel Springs Romance #1) - Denise Hunter

I've read a few books by this author and looked forward to another good story.  This is the first book in a 4-book series.  The others are Dancing with Fireflies, The Wishing Season and Married 'til Monday.  The series tells the love stories of 4 siblings.

Madison has been having problems getting over the death of her twin.  She's struggled with nightmares and now she has a plan to put the past behind her.  Her brother's goal was to win a sailing regatta by his 27th birthday, and she's going to fulfill that dream for him.  In order to do that, she's going to have to learn to swim and sail.  Learning to do those things is going to take the help of the man who she suspects broke her sister's heart.

Beckett grew up with a tough home life that doesn't seem to get better.  His mom left, his dad is an alcoholic, and his grandfather is in the grip of dementia.  He works his way through Madison's defenses, but he feels like he's not good enough for her.  When they start to get serious, he has to evaluate what he wants.  He also has a terrible secret that could change everything.

This story was pretty predictable, and there was something that nagged me about it.  It might be that I seemed to read the same scene over and over, just written a bit differently. Madison grated on my nerves somewhat, but I can't really pinpoint what it was about her that bothered me.  There were also too many "preachy" moments in there where the characters would give a speech.  They just didn't sound like anything people would actually say.

I found myself skimming a lot, even toward the end.  I wanted to like it, I've liked the other things I've read by this author.  I just don't know what happened with this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment