A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Dauntless (Valiant Hearts #1) - Dina Sleiman

This is the first book in the series.  The other two books are called Chivalrous and Courageous.

Merry's family has been murdered by King John.  Now she has taken the other children from her village and hidden in the woods.  They live there, occasionally stealing what they need.  Merry misses her old life but won't let herself think of it.  She needs to focus on protecting the children.  Their band has labeled the Ghosts of Farthingale Forest, but in reality, they're just struggling to survive.

Rumors of the ghosts in the woods have reached the ears of a nearby earl.  Working for him is a young man named Timothy.  The earl asks him to capture the ghosts to prove himself and when Timothy finds out that Merry is with them, his heart is torn.  He thought she was dead, and knowing she's not, he wants to do everything he can to make sure she's safe.  If the king finds out, he'll probably demand her death.

Merry is slow to trust, but Timothy works hard for it.  Woven through the story is also the perspective of a man named John.  He hates Timothy, and is planning on destroying him. You don't get to figure out who he is exactly until close to the end, but there's a level of tension there as you hope the villain won't succeed.

Technically, this is labeled as a teen book, but I enjoyed it as an adult.  The story was engaging and the characters nicely written.  The second book in the series, Chivalrous, has Allen in it.  He was a pretty major character in this one, so I was glad to see his story was going to continue.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment