A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Waking Up: How I Found My Faith By Losing It - Ted Dekker

Waking Up is Ted Dekker's personal journey to finding the true love of God.  Along the way, he asks the reader to join him, admit that we all falter and that we're blind to the love of God.  Being able to see ourselves through His eyes is something that we find impossible to do on a consistent basis.  He sums up the important points by identifying The Truth, The Way and The Life.

I love Dekker's writing style.  I just started reading the meditation book and will post up a review of it when I finish.  Brutal honesty is something that is hard to come by, especially by people that end up being looked up to by other Christians as role models.  The older I get, the more I appreciate people in those positions being honest and admitting to struggles the rest of us experience every day.

This short book is a lead-in to The Forgotten Way Meditations - a print book.  The meditation book was part of a fundraising campaign where they wanted to raise $30,000 to publish it and ended up raising over $71,000.  I think Dekker underestimated his fans' dedication to his work.  The books sold out and now there are plans to print more and sell them.  To be alerted to when the meditation book will be available again, head over to the Forgotten Way website and sign up to get the alert.  You're not under any pressure to buy anything, but you'll be alerted when the book is available.  It isn't available in stores and, from the sounds of it, there aren't plans to release it in the retail market.

This smaller book is free, so if you're a fan of Ted Dekker, pick it up.  If you've never read anything by him, you can pick it up without any risk.  You'll be able to read his style and see if it resonates with you.  Recommended!


No comments:

Post a Comment