A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, January 22, 2016

A Sensible Arrangement (Lone Star Brides #1) - Tracie Peterson

This is the first book in the Lone Star Brides series.  The second book is called A Moment in Time and the third is A Matter of Heart.

Marty wants nothing more than to escape Texas.  She sees an opportunity to leave when she answers an ad for a mail-order bride.  Once she's in Denver, she becomes the wife of a prominent banker and finds herself thrust into Denver's high society.

Jake wants nothing more than to escape the bank and get back to Texas.  He's taking a wife mainly to appease his boss.  Mr. Morgan has definite plans for Jake's path and makes sure he stays on it.  Since Jake is only working at the bank until he earns enough to return to Texas, he lets his boss lead him around without much resistance.

Marty's character isn't very likable for most of this book.  She's a liar and basically whines about everything.  When she discovers that Jake wants to return to Texas, she's determined to stay where she is, though she hates Denver's society and its rules.  She shows kindness now and then to those around her, just not her husband.  She lies and manipulates him even when she knows how unhappy he is.

This particular book can be read by itself if you only want to see something of a resolution for Marty and Jake.  But be warned, there's some trouble ahead for them in the next book. Alice's character is introduced and she basically saved the book for me, since I wasn't fond of Marty.  Alice is one of the main characters in the next book, A Moment in Time. Overall, it's a decent start to the series, just with a really unlikable main character.


No comments:

Post a Comment