A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Life is Like a...

Jigsaw Puzzle!

I've heard a lot of different versions of the "life is like a..." probably the most famous being the line in Forrest Gump where he compares it to a box of chocolates.  That never resonated with me for a few reasons.  First, a lot of the boxes DO tell you what you're going to get.  Second, it seems like most of the chocolates in those boxes are flavors I don't like.  Seems like a pessimistic view of life when you look at it that way!

I've been working on a 1500 piece puzzle of the Neuschwanstein Castle since Christmas. I got it thinking there were enough different colors and shapes on the castle that I could figure it out.  It's been a bit harder than I thought, and I figured life is like that.  There's a lot of lessons that can be learned from jigsaw puzzles.  I talked with my daughter about it a few weeks ago and have been diving deeper into the thought since then.  Here's the list of lessons I've come up with:

1. God sees the whole picture.  He's the Maker of our puzzle, so He knows how it looks when it's all together.  We only see pieces here and there, fitting pieces together when we can.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Ps. 139:16

2. Sometimes pieces don't make sense.  There are times we pick up a piece and wonder if it's actually part of the puzzle we're working on.  Eventually, though, a place for the piece shows up and it all makes sense.
Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12

3. Sometimes pieces are lost.  It happens.  But the picture is still intact to the Maker.  He knows where the piece has gone and how it looks in the puzzle.  Things happen in life that we'll never understand - those are the holes.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. Is. 55:8

4. A puzzle isn't put together the same way twice. Each person is unique and special.  Each life is meant to be lived to the fullest, utilizing a person's God-given talents to bring Him glory.
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. 1 Peter 4:10

5. The end picture only makes sense if the pieces are put in the right place.  Our lives can seem like a mess if we don't have God where He needs to be.  Getting priorities in order is important, and keeping God at the top is vital.
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Mt. 6:33

6. Sometimes we try to force pieces to fit together when they aren't meant to.  We've all done it, walked away from God when He has the answers we need.  We cling to our ways, thinking they're the best, but in the end, we find out we were wrong.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Prov. 3:5

7. There are times when we don't seem to get anywhere.  We stare at the pieces and wonder how we'll ever get any of them together.  Sometimes we don't make any headway at all.  Stick with it!  Every piece gets us closer to the finished picture!
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Heb.12:1

8. Some parts are easier than others.  Bits of the picture come together faster than others.  Another way to look at it is that some parts are more fun than others.  Putting together your favorite part of the picture is a treat.  We all enjoy more parts of life than others.  The bad times remind me of trying to put together foliage.  I'm not a fan of puzzles with large areas of green trees, grass and bushes.
We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 2 Cor. 4:8,9

9. Puzzles can be frustrating!  As can life, but when we stick with it and trust God, we'll make it through and the picture will come together.
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Is. 40:31

Eventually, I'll finish this puzzle.  It's the largest one I've put together in quite some time, and then I'll look at the finished picture with a sense of accomplishment.  I hope I can say the same about my life when it comes to an end.  I want to be able to say that I lived it to the fullest, and I saw my puzzle as the beautiful picture I know God sees.


1 comment:

  1. So much good, and true, stuff in here! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete