A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Proper Marriage - Dorothy Love

I haven't posted anything lately since I've been getting caught up on some NetGalley titles.  Since I have a break, I picked the shortest book on my TBR (to be read) pile and read through it.  I needed the sense of accomplishment by getting a title off my list of reading material!

This novella is posted as connected to the Hickory Ridge series, but it's definitely a stand alone story.  Olivia has made some choices she regrets and finds herself on a wagon beside a man she doesn't love off to start a new life.  Luke's brother is the reason she's in trouble.  Luke has stepped up and offered her a life, but is it the one she wants?

I have to say, this story was a little more depressing than I had expected.  I found Olivia to be a little condescending and unappreciative of Luke's efforts for much of the story, so I didn't get a chance to like her character until the story was just about over.  For being a novella, it was a pretty well written story.  Many times, the novellas end up feeling rushed and incomplete but not this one.

Overall, I'm torn about how I feel about the story.  I thought it was well written, but the darker aspects of the story leave me giving this one 3.5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment