A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, July 18, 2014

A Suitor for Jenny (Rocky Creek Romance #2) - Margaret Brownley

I've already read the other two books in this series: A Lady Like Sarah and A Vision of Lucy.  I enjoyed them and looked forward to reading this one.

Jenny has brought her two sisters to Rocky Creek under the assumption that she's come to the town with the highest income men.  She's vowed to find husbands for them - good husbands.  She stirs up the town by having men fill out applications and asking for financial statements.  When her parents died, she had problems selling their farm and they almost starved.  She's determined to make sure they never have to go through that again.  Unfortunately, the town doesn't have many candidates and her sisters don't seem to be interested in the person she approves.

Rhett is the marshal and hears about 'the colonel' immediately after she arrives in town. She's a stubborn woman and is a danger to Rhett's perfectly constructed wall around his heart.  He carries a great amount of guilt and has promised himself he wouldn't allow himself to feel again.  He doesn't deserve it.  Each encounter with Jenny takes down a little more of that wall.  She's maddening and frustrating, but he's interested.

I did like this book.  Jenny's past is sad and you don't really find out the extent of it until the end, but Rhett handles the information well.  His past was also tragic.  I liked that the characters weren't completely perfect.  No one is and sometimes characters can come across a little too perfect.

Little bits of Sarah's story are mentioned, but I read all three of these out of order and was able to enjoy them without feeling like I'd missed something.  I've got another series by this author, The Brides of Last Chance Ranch, waiting for me on my Kindle and have hopes of getting to it soon. Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment