A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, July 10, 2014

For Love or Country (The MacGregor Legacy #2) - Jennifer Hudson Taylor

After reading the first book in this series, For Love or Loyalty, I looked forward to reading more of this series.  This book is set during the Revolutionary War and occurs about 20 years after the first book.

Hugh is on his way to rescue his brother from the Colonialists.  On the way, he's attacked by Tuscarora Indians and ends up badly wounded.  Upon awakening, he finds himself in the home of the very people fighting against his country.  He quickly comes to realize that the people he's sharing a home with may not be the enemy.

Tyra is holding down the fort at home.  Her three brothers and father are off fighting against the British.  She does her best to keep them safe.  Her nickname of the "War Woman" has the British that occupy the city wondering how she got that name and if she might be working with the colonials.  Hugh is stationed in her home to keep an eye on her and Tyra wonders if giving Hugh her heart would be a waste of time.

These two don't have to think very hard about caring about each other.  The problem is that they find themselves on opposite sides of the war.  Tyra makes unrealistic demands on Hugh but also challenges him to really look at why he's fighting for the British.  Even if the war ends, will Hugh be able to gain the approval of Tyra's father and brothers?

I really liked this book.  I'm not a big fan of books written for this time period, so that's saying something.  Tyra is the daughter of Malcolm and Lauren, the subject of the first book, so the connection is there.  A little bit of their story is revealed, but not enough that you'd have to read these in order.  The third book in the series, For Love or Liberty, is coming out in November.  It is about Charlotte Morgan, who is possibly Hugh and Tyra's daughter, and set during the War of 1812.  I look forward to it!  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment