A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Born of Persuasion (Price of Privilege #1) - Jessica Dotta

I had this one on my Kindle for a while.  I have so many books to read right now, some of them end up sitting on there for a while.  I dusted this one off and read it during Spring Break.  This is the first book I've read by this author.

Julia's world has been turned upside down.  Now that her mother is dead, she discovers that she has a mysterious guardian who plans on sending her to Scotland.  In the meantime, she lives at her friend's house and hopes to look to her fiance, Edward, for help.  Instead, she finds out that he has taken orders and become a vicar, even though he knows that she doesn't believe in God.  Her father was an outspoken atheist and Julia feels betrayed.

Her new plan is to find herself a husband.  She meets a woman who claims to be able to help and ends up in a strange situation where she's not sure whom she can trust.  Even her friends seems to have turned their backs on her.  She treats Edward horribly when she meets him and looks to others to solve her problems.

I wasn't pleased with this book for a number of reasons.  Most importantly, I really disliked Julia's character.  She was a spoiled, self-centered woman who cared little for others and had no compassion for anyone other than herself.  Since the book is all first person, all we read is Julia's thoughts, making her more irritating.  The book is supposed to be Christian fiction, but other than a few comments by Edward, I didn't see any difference between this book and a secular novel.  I looked it up a few times to make sure I wasn't mistaken thinking the book was published by a Christian publisher.

This book is part of a series and the story is continuous.  At the end of this book, we don't have any closure or anything resembling a happy ending.  While the book was well written and descriptive, I just didn't like Julia at all, making this series a pass for me.  In case you're interested, the next book in the series is called Mark of Distinction and comes out May 1, 2014.




No comments:

Post a Comment