A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Bride for All Seasons - Margaret Brownley, Debra Clopton, Robin Lee Hatcher, Mary Connealy

This is a novella collection made up of four stories.  They are connected through their interactions with the Hitching Post Mail-Order Bride Catalogue.  Mr. Hitchcock is changing ads, changing letters and changing lives.

And Then Came Spring - Margaret Brownley - Mary Jo arrives to find that not only is her fiance dead, he has a son that she didn't know about.  Her fiance's brother is having a hard time handling the boy and Mary Jo can't leave without making sure they are okay. Since she is superstitious, she believes that she is unlucky and doesn't want to open her heart up to love.  Will she leave without giving it a chance?

An Ever After Summer - Debra Clopton - Mathew specifically placed in his ad that he didn't want any Bible thumpers applying, so he's shocked when Ellie exits the train hugging a Bible like it's her best friend.  He simply wants a mother for his child.  He has no desire to be a husband, but Ellie's stubborn streak might just eventually wear down his protests.

Autumn's Angel - Robin Lee Hatcher - Luvena has sacrificed a great deal and is raising her nephew and nieces.  Unfortunately, Clay was positive he said in his ad that widows with children need not apply.  When it's discovered that not only was fare sent to bring Luvena but also the children, they know something's amiss.  He's got a secret that is preventing him from opening up his heart fully to them, but he gets Luvena to help open his opera house.  Can he put his inner demons to rest before losing Luvena?

Winter Wedding Bells - Mary Connealy - David is dying.  Megan refuses to believe him. She wasn't aware that he was dying when she married him, and they are both surprised when they discover that a whole page of David's letter was never sent.  Megan is determined to honor her vows, and she sees life in David's eyes.  He wants to make sure everything is order for his death.

These stories were a quick, fun read for me.  I loved the little changes that Mr. Hitchcock made and enjoyed each of the stories.  They weren't connected in any way beyond using the Hitching Post.  Each story was set in a different location.  They still felt like they were all part of the same overall story.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment