A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Bride for Keeps (Unexpected Brides #1) - Melissa Jagears

After reading the novella, Love by the Letter, I looked forward to reading more from the author.

Julia is coming to see her friend Rachel, but she's also agreed to be a mail-order bride for Rachel's friend, Everett.  The strange thing is that Everett is very distant and seems to want nothing to do with her.  She has secrets in her past that she's running from, so she doesn't want to push him too hard.  She's just looking for protection.

Everett has had the worst luck with women.  Not much of it is his fault, but the town likes to tease him about it.  He is drawn to Julia, but fears that she'll just leave like all the others. They all left in different ways, but he's in pain and believes Julia is just the next one. When he finally comes to his senses, will Julia be able to trust him enough to make their marriage work?

I think most of this book can be summed up with the quote, "What we have here is a failure to communicate." (By the way, I use that phrase all the time but just looked up its source today - Cool Hand Luke, 1967)  Anyway!  These two wallow in their own sorrows for most of the first half of the book, making them both a bit irritating.  I kept reading, because I knew it had to get better.  I wasn't wrong!  This turned out to be a great book!

The next book in this series isn't due out for quite some time.  A Bride in Store is due out in September.  From the summary, it's about Axel, a very minor character in this book.  If you haven't read Dex and Rachel's story (they show up a lot in this book), make sure to read Love by the Letter.  As of today, it's still free.  You're not going to feel lost if you don't read it, so it's okay to read these alone.  I look forward to the next one.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment