A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Love on the Line - Deeanne Gist

I have read a few of this author's books, most of them in DTB form with the exception of Beguiled.  I've enjoyed her historical books for the most part, with maybe one or two exceptions.  Once one of my favorite authors, I am now a smidge wary when I pick up one of her books.  I took a chance and picked this one up for $2.99.

Georgie works for the telephone company back when they were using the switchboards and party lines.  She is obsessed with her songbirds and that is her life.  That changes when the new troubleman comes into her life and upsets her by taking over some of her duties.  He also has the nasty habit of enjoying hunting, birds included.

Luke is an undercover Texas Ranger that is trying to find an outlaw that has eluded him more times than he should have.  He isn't really pleased at having to put up with the fiery phone operator.  After a time, he comes to realize that he is falling in love with her.  She falls for him too, but she doesn't know who he really is.

The truth of who he is is hard to take for Georgie.  Things need to be explained to her and then it's hard for her to take at first, since some of the sacrifices he has had to make involve her.  Luke eventually needs to rely on Georgie for help since no one else is willing.  When Luke finally captures his prey, will he get the closure that he's looking for?

I enjoyed this book.  After reading the semi-epic series, this was a shorter, but still enjoyable break.  The characters were interesting, but there was a little too much of the bird calls in there.  While I like songbirds, I'm really not into them to the point where I want to read about their song habits.  Other than that, I was just a little disappointed that there was a lot of kissing in the book, but not as much God as I thought there would be.  I don't expect to be overwhelmed and preached at, but it seemed almost an afterthought.

Overall, as usual, I am a fan of the historical fiction.  I thought that the telephone subject was original and I enjoyed learning some things about it that I hadn't known before.  The setting was pretty neat as I have actually been to Cut 'N Shoot, Texas.  It was also different that the epilogue was many more years later than I was used to.  Not bad, just different.  This was a good choice and I enjoyed reading it.  Good Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment