A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I raised two wonderful girls, and I'm super proud of them. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Sunday, September 27, 2026

The Shadowy Horses - Susanna Kearsley

I was looking up authors who were similar to Barbara Michaels, and this book was listed. I waited for the price to drop, and I was anxious to see how it measured up.

Verity has agreed to go on a dig with her ex-boyfriend, Adrian. She knows nothing else about it, but by his tone, she’s knows it’s something big. She finds out a man is searching for a unicorn. Not a literal unicorn, but it’s a specific Roman encampment that no one’s been able to find. While she’s there, she meets David, and they are the romance element.

While on the dig, the supernatural is also present. Verity hears horses galloping through almost every night, but there aren’t any. Also, there’s a Roman soldier that can be communicated with through a little boy. It shouldn’t be possible to find what they’re looking for, but they get clues that lead them to the truth.

I really liked certain elements of this book, but I’m not sure I loved the way they were used. The horses for example. I may have missed it, but I never understood why they were there. Peter told an Irish tale about horses and the waves, but this group was in Scotland. And then there was the Sentinel. I thought this was a clever in some respects. But I felt like he wasn’t in there enough.

The thing that bothered me the most was the romance. There was nothing specifically wrong with it, but I wasn’t a fan. It ruined the end for me, because I wanted to know what they did about the Sentinel, and instead, I had to read about David and Verity. It was also a bit abrupt for some reason. Not the rescue itself, I guess I’m referring to the wrap-up. Was it a bad book? Not at all. Was it something that made me want to read more? Nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment