A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Black, Red and White (The Circle 1-3) - Ted Dekker GRAPHIC NOVELS

Packing things away uncovers all sorts of little treasures. I've been reading a lot of graphic materials lately (some of which I haven't reviewed), but I already owned these.

They are based on a novel series by Ted Dekker that eventually involved four novels. Green was the beginning and the end. I can't remember how exactly that worked, but I remember being impressed the author pulled it off.

Thomas Hunter is part of two worlds. One is an obvious mirror of the Bible with Justin/Jesus as the savior of the people. There is also a skin disease cured by bathing in pools, and those that don't are labeled the Horde. In the other world, the fate of humanity is at risk of a virus. Thomas accidentally discloses the way to turn the vaccine into the deadly virus, and from then on, he's trying to sleep and dream in both worlds to solve problems on both sides.

The story is condensed so much it's more of a refresher if you're trying to remember the books. It's almost like whiplash trying to keep up with all the places involved. Then there are people that show up only to leave the story not long after. In the novel, there's time for these characters to develop personalities and the reader to care what happens to them.

The art style was different. At times, Thomas looked like a weird cartoon character whose expression didn't match the emotions I thought he was trying to portray. It took away from the impact moments. And I know graphic novels are capable of deep emotion (The Crow). 

I made it through all three, but since there's no version of Green, the circle is open-ended. Pair that with the thin story and the occasional art style, and it sits in the middle for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment