A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, February 2, 2024

The Enemy Below (condensed) - D. A. Rayner

I watched the 1957 movie and wanted to read the book.

The version I read was a condensed version. I don't know if anyone remembers the Reader's Digest books that had like 5 or 6 books smooshed into them, but that's what this was. It ended up being about 80 pages.

The story revolves around the battle of wits between the captains of a British destroyer and a German sub. Both men are clever and try to predict what the other will do. The German sub is on its way to a rendezvous, so the captain doesn't have a lot of time to engage with the destroyer. He'd rather shake him off.

The captain of the destroyer quickly catches on that the sub is headed toward a meeting, but he doesn't let up. When the sub runs out of options, the two leaders have to use what they have left.

Even though the book was condensed, I enjoyed the tension Rayner was able to weave into his writing. I loved the end. *Spoiler* A scrum in the water was just what this story needed at the end. Out of the two books written about the Hecate, this is obviously the second one, and I hope to someday track down the first one, The Crippled Tanker. Good Story! 



No comments:

Post a Comment