A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Friday, March 24, 2023

The Lodger - Marie Belloc Lowndes

Ok, so I'm going to admit I've completely abandoned my rule. I read books and watch the movie. I admit it! I used to avoid one or the other because I didn't like comparing the two. One was always better (most often the book), but as I watch more of these older movies, I'm too curious to keep to my own rule. And so here we are.

In this story, the Buntings take in a lodger. They've been struggling, so they see this as a blessing. He's a bit eccentric, but it's nothing Mrs. Bunting can't handle. At the same time, horrific murders are happening close by. And they seem to be getting closer. Being friends with a young policeman gives the Buntings insight into the investigation, and since he's interested in Bunting's daughter, they see even more of him as time goes on.

I was first made aware of this when I saw a silent film by the same name was going to be in the public domain this year. It was an early film by Alfred Hitchcock, and so I was interested. I haven't seen a lot of Hitchcock's work, but I had liked what I'd seen. I think North by Northwest is my favorite so far. Anyway, I saw this was based on a book and scribbled down the details.

I'm going to talk about the film first, because I hated it. To be fair, not the whole thing, just the second half. There was a weird love triangle in there, and I wanted almost everyone to die at the end (not Joe...everyone but Joe). I wanted to throw my laptop. BUT, I also wanted to know if and how it differed from the book.

I went into the book nervous. Not only was I scared that the dreaded love triangle would rear its ugly head, but the tension in the book itself was really well done. The story was so much better than the movie and made so much more sense. The end was a bit abrupt and unsatisfying, but I'm not going to spoil why. And when I say a bit, I mean slightly.

I greatly prefer the book. In some ways, I wonder if Alfred Hitchcock's name wasn't on the film, would people think it was worth watching? Anyway, this book was really good, and I'm glad I read it. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment