A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Thursday, March 9, 2023

Metropolis - Thea Von Harbou

I've been watching some old films lately, and I stumbled upon one called Metropolis (1927). It was a a silent movie, and when I discovered it was based on a book, I wanted to find out how similar it was. Nowadays, it seems like it's more likely for movies/shows to be vastly different from the source material.

A city is built upon the backs of the working class. They work ten hours in front of the same machines for the elite. One day, the son of the master of machines sees a woman who makes him question everything. He visits the working men, and his whole life changes.

Overall, I liked this book. It was written well and didn't show its age the way some books tend to do. I enjoyed the character progression and the storyline. 

I give the movie credit for staying true to the book for the most part. The end of the movie was a bit on the cheesy side, and after the interesting visuals and decent storytelling, I wasn't sure what happened. The answer: they changed it. They completely eliminated a character that I felt was important, and the ending suffered for it.

Back to the book. I feel it's superior to the movie, but the movie is a marvel on its own and worth a watch. I'm not going to pretend like silent movies are my favorite thing, but I did like this one. It also had the additional bonus of giving me this book to read! Good Book!


Still from the film - each side of workers moved at different speeds but in sync with each other
 

No comments:

Post a Comment