A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

No Ordinary Dog - Will Chesney

Cairo was a military working dog that was present on the mission where Osama bin Laden was taken out. This dog was special in a number of ways, and his handler, Will, tells us why. From the training to retirement, this is the life of a truly special dog.

I wasn't quite ready for the first third of the book to be about the human, but after reading the entire book, I think Cairo and Will are a package deal. This story needed both of them to be complete, so hearing the background of the handler is important, too. I also liked hearing about Will's temperament and how he would take responsibility for the dog's mistakes.

I was so worried there weren't going to be any pictures. I NEEDED pictures. Thank you, Mr. Chesney, for adding those at the end. After reading the sad part of the book, it was something that made me smile.

I wanted to point out a particular quote from the book, as the truth of it hit me pretty hard. "Someone once said that buying a dog is like buying a small tragedy. You know on the very first day how it all will turn out. But that's not the point, is it? It's the journey that counts, what you give the dog and what you get in return..." If you've ever had a dog, you'll know how true this is.

This book was really enjoyable. And not because it was happiness and roses all the time. Because the opposite is true. Both Will and Cairo are injured during their service, and they continue to pay for it even after they retire. I appreciate how open and honest Will was with his struggles and the journey he dealt with. 

For those with sensitivities, there is language and combat. Injuries are described, but I personally didn't have any issues with anything that was included. A Young Reader's Edition is also available, and I'm guessing these things are toned down a bit in that version if you find you want to read it but these things bother you. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment