A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Six Years With the Texas Rangers 1875-1881 - James B. Gillett

I've been reading a lot of WWII memoirs lately, so I decided to mix it up a bit and picked up this book about a Texas Ranger.

Gillett goes through his time with the rangers by telling tales of what he went through, and he also tells some tales of what the rangers did in general. I think if you have any interest in the life of a ranger, this might be a book for you. Know that he's using lingo that was common at the time in relation to Native and African Americans. Also, he gets pretty specific with some of the deaths. For instance, instead of saying a horse died, he will say that it was shot through the neck. He does that with people, too.

Boiled down, this is an older man telling stories of the good old days. He was one of those people fortunate enough to get to do a job he loved for a while, and it shows. This book was pretty interesting, but the writing style didn't pull me in as much as I hoped it would.



No comments:

Post a Comment