A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Sunday, April 3, 2022

An English Woman-Sergeant in the Serbian Army - Flora Sandes

Flora Sandes is one of those inspirational women that I like to tell my daughters about. She was the only British woman to officially serve as a soldier in WWI. She started out as a nurse, but circumstances led her to end up as part of a retreat where she became a part of the army.

You kind of get thrown into the deep end right from the beginning. She doesn't address how she ended up in Serbia, her background or what motivated her to be a nurse in the first place. Overall, you're on a journey with her. The descriptions are well done, and the conditions make you cringe.

The best way I can describe this book is as a cross-section of her life. Since this was written in 1916, of course, Flora didn't know what else was going to happen. With a bit of research...boom! She wrote another book in 1927 called The Autobiography of a Woman Soldier. I might have to track down a physical copy or put it on my list to look into in about four years when it should be eligible for public domain. Good Book!



No comments:

Post a Comment