A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, April 2, 2022

Pretty Lady - Marian Babson

On our last trek to the used book store, I was compelled to sit in the car. My thoughtful daughter picked out a few paperbacks for me, and this was one of them. It's from 1990, and I don't think I've heard of this author, but I'm always willing to see what my daughter has in store for me.

This book isn't broken up into chapters. Instead, we're reading from the viewpoint of various characters. Merelda is unhappy in her marriage and has decided that the only way out is murder. And what she needs for that is a "catspaw." She thinks she's found that in Denny. He's a child trapped in a man's body. We're also reading from Denny's mother and sister's point of views. Each person has their own voice, and I think the author did a great job with that. Merelda convinces Denny that she needs help fairly easily, but little does she know that Denny's mother has other plans for him that particular evening. It was just really well done.

This is definitely a diet book, coming in at 128 pages. I finished it in a few hours, but it was a real page-turner. Especially toward the end, I think my heart was racing wondering what was going to happen. I even smiled at the end. The worst part? Finding out there is no digital version of this book. I would love to recommend this, but how are they supposed to get a copy to read?! I think that's the most frustrating part of my journey. Reading books of the past connects me with some hidden gems, but so many people are missing out because these treasures are being lost to time through the dwindling physical copies. Babson has some of her other books available digitally, so maybe one day this one will get the same treatment. I'm still giving it a Good Book! review!



No comments:

Post a Comment