A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Shine Like the Dawn - Carrie Turansky

Maggie's parents and older sister are dead.  She now lives with her younger sister in her grandmother's home.  They own a hat shop in town, but Maggie never seems able to escape her past.  When her younger sister is injured by a car, Maggie meets up with an old 'friend.'

Nate is pleased to see Maggie, but he's confused by her attitude toward him.  She's cool and distant and won't tell him why.  He wants to set things right, but it takes a while before she's willing to listen.

The hat shop burns down, and Maggie is without a home.  Nate takes her back to his house, but she still doesn't trust him.  She has suspicions that Nate's stepmother may have caused the death of her family, and she uses the opportunity to snoop.

This book was okay.  The beginning was depressing, and the end dragged on a bit too long.  I can get past those issues, but my major problem was Maggie.  I never really liked her very much, even at the end.  The way she treated Nate bothered me.  The story was overly preachy at times, and that interrupted the flow of the story.  I really enjoyed this author's Edwardian Bride series (The Governess of Highland Hall, The Daughter of Highland Hall and A Refuge at Highland Hall) and recommend those over this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment