A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Saturday, June 20, 2015

The Governess of Highland Hall (Edwardian Brides #1) - Carrie Turansky

I've been watching this author's books for quite a while before I saw this one drop in price. The description of the book made me think it would be something I would enjoy.  It also counts toward my 2015 challenge as one of my new authors.

Julia has returned to England after 12 years on the mission field in India.  Her father is ill, and she takes a position as a governess to help support her family.  After accepting the position, she learns that she not only has care of two children, but she's been tasked with preparing two young ladies for a London season.  She meets the master of Highland Hall in a very "Jane Eyre" way and her outspokenness gets her noticed.

William's wife has passed away, but her betrayal has tainted his view of women.  He feels like he can't trust his feelings and even though Julia intrigues him, he's out to guard his heart.  He's only recently inherited Highland Hall and the fees associated with that are putting a real strain on his wallet.  It seems like the only way out is to find more money, but he isn't sure where it's going to come from.  He ends up confiding in Julia and listening to her ideas with interest.

I mentioned Jane Eyre before, and the similarities are there.  It's not exactly the same story, but if you know that story, you won't miss the parallels.  It's still a great story and I enjoyed it.  The author's writing style was easy to follow even though you're reading from numerous points of view.  I wondered if that would end up being confusing, but it was well done.

The second book in the series is called The Daughter of Highland Hall and is the story of Katherine Ramsey.  She's in this story, and you get to see a lot of her personality.  It looks like it's set more in London, so it might be okay to read these out of order/alone, but I can't say for sure.  The third book in the series, A Refuge at Highland Hall, comes out October 20, 2015 and is the story of Penny, Katherine's sister and another character that appears in this book.  I look forward to more by this author.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment