A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Monday, November 30, 2015

The Daughter of Highland Hall (Edwardian Brides #2) - Carrie Turansky

This is the second book in this series.  The first book is called The Governess of Highland Hall.

Kate is in London for her first season.  Her aunt is determined to have it be a success, no matter what Kate has in mind for her life.  When a scandal threatens the family's standing, Kate gets to experience what it's like in the poorer parts of town and her priorities begin to shift.  She also begins to see the advantage of valuing substance of character over social standing.

Jon is in London to complete his medical training and continue his father's work in India. He also is changed by what he sees in the poorer parts of town and feels that God may be leading him toward work there.  But his family expects him to return to India, and he doesn't want to disappoint his father.  The more he works with those who need it most, he gains confidence that he should be there.  The problem is, Kate is used to a comfortable life.  She's out of his league anyway, but he can't help hoping.

It seems like everyone around these two recognize their feelings before they themselves are ready to admit it.  They both feel that the relationship would be doomed from the start, but they gain confidence when they are together and their feelings grow.  One scandal after another throw a wrench in the works, but they work it out eventually.

William and Julia (book #1) are busy preparing for their wedding and we read a lot from their points of view.  You're not lost if you haven't read the first book, there's enough little hints in there, but it's a bonus for those who have read it.

The third book is called A Refuge at Highland Hall and is the story of Kate's sister, Penny. She shows up here and there in this book, and I look forward to reading it.  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment