A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

The Bride Backfire (Prairie Promises #2) - Kelly Eileen Hake

This is book two of the series.  I liked the first book, The Bride Bargain, pretty well, so I was ready to keep going.

Adam Grogan is doing his best to keep the peace with the Speck family, but his brother seems intent on stirring it up.  While trying to prevent an all-out war, he ends up married to Opal Speck.  She was trying to save his life, and to do that, she felt the need to lie and say he's the father of her unborn child.  Problem is, she's not even pregnant!  She lets Adam believe she is, and he steps forward to say he'll claim the child as his own, but he won't make it a real marriage until she reveals the name of the father.

Opal thinks that once the marriage is consummated, she'll be able to tell Adam the truth and he won't be able to annul the marriage.  She's afraid if he finds out the truth, he'll annul the marriage and trigger a war between the two families.  As Opal tries to fit in on the Grogan farm, she discovers that her new mother-in-law will do anything to prevent her from staying.

I liked this one better than the first one.  I'll still go with 4 stars, maybe 4.5 if I'm getting picky.  Opal wasn't as bad as Clara (book 1), but she had her moments where I would frown and wonder what she was thinking.  For example, I was curious why she was so insistent about not telling Adam the truth about the "baby."  She knows he cares about keeping the peace at all costs (as much as she does), so why the automatic jump that he'd seek the annulment if she revealed the truth?

I read this in two days, so it clearly kept my interest.  I just had to see what happened, and I really liked Adam's character.  Midge was another favorite.

I think it's okay to read these out of order.  Anything you need to know from the first book is restated in this one, and the main characters for the third book are new.  I'm hoping there's more Midge in there - she needs a happy ending!  Good Book!


No comments:

Post a Comment