A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Daughters of the Night Sky - Aimie K. Runyan

The Kindle First program sounds wonderful in theory.  Amazon sends me an email the first of each month with 5 or 6 books to choose from, and I get one for free.  And then, once I get around to reading it, I'm disappointed.  I think there's been one book I've enjoyed.  Recently, I've cut back on choosing a book at all, but this one interested me.  It's the right time period, and I wanted to read about Russian pilots who were women.

I started reading about Katya's struggles to prove herself as a navigator.  Then, just partway in, she has a day out with a pilot who has been nice to her and then proceeds to go straight to a hotel to have sex.  I've come across these kinds of scenes before, and I normally skim them, but this was PAGES of skimming.  And so early on!

Other people won't be bothered by that scene, and I understand this is a personal preference issue.  I made it to less than 20% - that scene was a deal-breaker for me.  This book is off my Kindle and out of my library.  I'm a prude and I'll admit that.  The drawn-out sex scene made me put down the book and immediately delete it.  I think I'm done with the Kindle First program.  I'm just done...


No comments:

Post a Comment