A little bit about what you'll find reviewed here

A little bit about what you'll find reviewed on this blog: I believe the best books involve characters you wish you could read more about long after the book is finished. Recently, I've been searching for hidden gems from the past. I read mostly fiction, and I'm a bit of a prude. I don't normally enjoy books with sex or excessive language.

Who I am:
I am a stay at home mother of two wonderful girls. I enjoy reading (of course), sewing, cross stitching, photography and writing. I live in the high desert portion of Washington (which I didn't know existed until my husband and I decided to move here) and have really enjoyed my time out here. I am excited to see what God has next in store for my life!

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Mind Over Magic (Psych #2)- William Rabkin

It's been a while since I read the first book in this series, A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read.  I enjoyed that one.  I felt it captured the characters and it was like "reading" an episode of Psych.  It's one of our favorite shows.

Shawn is sent to deliver a present at the Fortress of Magic.  Instead, he witnesses a murder during a controversial magician's act.  The man is supposed to disappear from a tank of water and reappear somewhere else.  Instead, the magician disappears, and a dead man appears in the tank.

Since they're dealing with magicians who don't like to give up their secrets, the case is harder than normal.  The government's even involved. 

I didn't really like this one, and I ended up slogging through it.  The characters didn't seem to be acting as they normally do, and the story didn't interest me.  It took me a long time to finish this one.

It wasn't just me - my daughter read this as well.  She loves Psych as much as I do, and she didn't like it either.  Something about the way the characters were portrayed seemed "off."  Some TV shows can pull off these novels, and Rabkin has showed that he can do it.  This time, it just didn't meet my expectations, and I ended up being disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment